How good must I be to get into heaven?

Believing you can earn your salvation by being a good enough person is not accepting the sacrifice that Jesus made on the cross.

Romans 4:2-5, For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.” Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due. And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness.

Romans 6:23, For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.  

If I am working for my salvation, I will get the wages for my labors, and I, being a sinner, do not want those wages. I do not want what I deserve, or I will end up in hell. I will trust in the grace of God only. Jesus completed all the works on the cross and is giving us (as a gift) the sinless wages he earned.  This is why we can rest in Jesus.

Our good works are not irrelevant. We can earn rewards for our good deeds, but they will not be the reason we get to heaven (1 Corinthians 3:11-15). We do good things out of our love for God and our fellow man.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a license to sin.  If, you see someone who says they are a Christian and they are living a sinful lifestyle.  Their heart has not been renewed and they are probably not filled with the Holy Spirit.  They need to repent and turn to God for salvation.  True Christians will still make mistakes and sin, but they will not be embracing that sin.

Read my article titled the Dangers of Working for your Salvation for more information on this topic.